After reviewing my tweets since this past Friday, the majority of the content includes ripping on the suburbs and those who reside in them. I should probably take some of my own advice from my previous post, “you should probably watch what you say“, and do just that.
Part of my problem is that I am such a loyal advocate of the city of CLE and urban living in general, that I get defensive and territorial while not realizing how crass I can be. So to those who I may have offended, please accept this as an apology. However, I must provide you with some observations why suburban folk get on my nerves.
- You think I live in the ghetto
- You take up my parking spaces in Tremont
- You look at me like I am crazy for wearing something somewhat fashionable
- You have never been anywhere else in CLE except for a sporting or concert venue
- You cannot drive downtown even though it’s incredibly easy
- You take over my favorite places on the weekend and then look at me like I don’t belong there
- You say how nice things are developing in the city and don’t have the guts to move here
- You think you live a “better” life in that subdivision
- You keep your children from the city, depriving them from culture and local history
- You think using a bicycle to get to places is crazy talk
Whether you live in the city or a suburb, I guess the snobbery goes both ways. I just have a difficult time understanding why suburban life is so much better. But one day things will change. People will sprawl once again, but this time it will be back to our urban cores — mark my words.
*Disclaimer – I do not believe ALL suburbanites agree with all of the above statements. I have family and friends who call suburbia home and I love them with all my heart (but they should consider being my neighbor).